freetds - JDBC -- SourceForge anyone?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ruffin Bailey" <Ruffin.Bailey AT noaa.gov>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: JDBC -- SourceForge anyone?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:25:52 -0400

> Andy Scholz <andy.scholz AT exodelta.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry to be a pain, but any chance of re-posting your patches?
>
> You could try the archives at
> <http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=freetds>, but the
> search engine there is - errm - painful to use.

I'd bet we all prefer to be lumpers rather than splitters, but perhaps
there should be a "working version" of the JDBC driver that we start up
over at Sourceforge? The JDBC driver is not exactly GPL, but the
license does seem to allow you do to host your own version.

I'd been thinking about kludging in a call to a cursor on SQL 7 servers
for CallableStatement, I think it was, to get some of the 2.0 functions
running -- programs like the Transact Query Analyzer (aka "tsa" --
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlanalyzer/) really have trouble using
tables to display results when the returned recordset gets too large
(memory problems). There was an excellent article in JavaPro magazine
on how to fix this, but it requires some jdbc 2.0 functions. I was
hoping to add these to the driver in the next several months.

Anyhow, just to say I was planning on SourceForging that (could be
months, though) once I get started. If anyone else wants to split from
the current codebase beforehand, I'd rather lump with that.

Blather blather blather. If you haven't checked out tsa and you're
looking to get started with jdbc, that's a really good place to start.
It uses freetds by default, but it's awful easy to hack in another
driver if you wanted.

Good luck,

Ruffin Bailey

--
Ruffin.Bailey AT noaa.gov | Database Management Systems Group
TPMC.com contractor | NOAA Coastal Services Center

Good programmers steal code.
Great programmers know whose code to steal.