freetds - Re: Proposed new FreeTDS configuration format

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Proposed new FreeTDS configuration format
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:44:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 30 May 2001, James Cameron wrote:

> Because it is difficult for the software to determine the cause of a
> failure to authenticate. I'm assuming the authentication might be out
> of band, as it commonly is ... imagine: the TCP connection works, but
> the out of band negotiation fails. Is the server dead, is the router
> dead, is my network interface dead, or is it just a packet filtering
> firewall whose alarms have just gone off? I think I'd like a don't try.

There are at least two distinct failure cases that it may be important for
FreeTDS to distinguish between: a failure to negotiate NTLMSSP (be it a
network failure, a protocol incompatibility, or something else) has different
implications than if we negotiate NTLMSSP and the server rejects our
credentials. I think I would like to distinguish between the two cases, but
I'm not sure the best way to represent this in the config file.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer