freetds - Proposed new FreeTDS configuration format

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Proposed new FreeTDS configuration format
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:22:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks,

Well sparked by some chatter here, I (with a great deal of help from Steve
Langasek) have been working on getting domain logins to MS sql server
working. I think I'm pretty close now, but need quite a few more fields
than our venerable interfaces file provides.

So, I thought I'd throw out my current working draft for the new format
and let people tear it apart ;-) I'm hoping to get all this done (config
file changes and domain logins) before releasing 0.52

So without further adieu here it is:

#
# The freetds.conf file is a replacement for the original interfaces file
# developed by Sybase. You may use either this or the intefaces file, but
not
# both.
#
# FreeTDS will search for a file in the following order:
#
# 1) Check if a file was set programatically via dbsetifile() and is in
# .conf format use that.
# 2) Look in ~/.freetds.conf
# 3) Look in $SYBASE/freetds.conf
# 4) Look in /etc/freetds/freetds.conf
#
# If freetds has found no suitable conf file it will then search for an
# an interfaces file:
#
# 1) Check if a file was set programatically via dbsetifile() and is in
# interfaces format, if so use that.
# 2) Look in $SYBASE/interfaces
# 3) Look in ~/.interfaces
# 4) Look in /etc/freetds/interfaces
#
#
# Only hostname, port number, and protocol version can be specified using the
# interfaces format.
#
# The conf file format follows a modified Windows INI style (or Samba style
if
# you prefer to think of it that way). There is a [global] section which
will
# affect all dataservers or basic program behaviour, and a section headed
with
# the dataserver's name which will have settings which override the global
# ones.
#
# the complete list of settings and their defaults follows:
#

[global]
tds version = 5.0
initial block size = 512
swap broken dates = no
swap broken money = no
# if both server and domain logins are enabled freetds will try domain login
# first if a domain is specified, and then fallback to server logins.
try server login = yes
try domain login = no
# the default domain can be overridden by using the DOMAIN\username format.
; nt domain = WORKGROUP
# if the server responds with different domain try that one?
cross domain login = no

# This is a sybase hosted dataserver, if you are directly on the net you can
# use it to test.
[JDBC]
host = 192.138.151.39
port = 4444
tds version = 5.0

# a typical MS SQL 7.0 configuration
;[MyServer70]
; host = ntmachine.domain.com
; port = 1433
; tds version = 7.0

# a typical MS SQL 7.0 configuration using domain logins
;[MyServer70]
; host = ntmachine.domain.com
; port = 1433
; tds version = 7.0