freetds - Re: why gnot gnu?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT stl.dec.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: why gnot gnu?
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:15:03 +1000

"James K. Lowden" wrote:
> What should the target be here, as far as FreeTDS is concerned?

Portable source.

> What advantage is it to you to use the Tru64 UNIX compiler instead of
> gcc?

Efficient code compiled for the Alpha processor. No need to download
and install gcc. Compiles faster. Saves time in many ways.

> Don't you use other GPL software that requires gcc?

Not really. Most other GPL code is written in portable ANSI C.

> I bet you're going to tell me the answer is terribly obvious, that you
> can't link gcc output using your linker.

Never tried that! Should work though, I guess.

> It's a matter of bringing FreeTDS into the fold, so you
> can use it in your environment, one that gcc hasn't conquered yet.

Very inspiration, I like it. Not really why I mentioned the issue
though.

> And now, in case I haven't done so already, let me ask a dumb
> question. You've figured this out, patched whatever you needed to to
> get things working. What stands between what you've done and a
> ./configure script that would work "out of the box" with both
> compilers? Why not pursue that?

Steve Langasek touched on this ... the problem is with automake's
macros, not the FreeTDS configure script. I was mentioning the problem
in passing in order to explain something else that was being asked. It
is not critical; I just re-run automake and autoconf on any package that
triggers the problem. If anything, if it continues to be a problem it
is automake I should be pushing the patch to, not FreeTDS.

--
James Cameron

  • why gnot gnu?, James K. Lowden, 05/19/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: why gnot gnu?, Steve Langasek, 05/19/2001
    • Re: why gnot gnu?, James Cameron, 05/21/2001