freetds - why gnot gnu?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: why gnot gnu?
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 15:47:51 +0000

James Cameron wrote:

> You (FreeTDS developers) start with a Makefile.am
> You run automake and you get a Makefile.in
> You make a configure.in or edit the one you are given

Hi James,

That was very helpful, thanks. I understand now. Of course, every answer
leads to a
question (or so).

What should the target be here, as far as FreeTDS is concerned? What
advantage is it
to you to use the Tru64 UNIX compiler instead of gcc? Don't you use other GPL
software that requires gcc? I'm not challenging you; I just don't get it.

I bet you're going to tell me the answer is terribly obvious, that you can't
link gcc
output using your linker. It's a matter of bringing FreeTDS into the fold,
so you
can use it in your environment, one that gcc hasn't conquered yet.

And now, in case I haven't done so already, let me ask a dumb question.
You've
figured this out, patched whatever you needed to to get things working. What
stands
between what you've done and a ./configure script that would work "out of the
box"
with both compilers? Why not pursue that?