freetds - Re: Documentation considerations

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT stl.dec.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Documentation considerations
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:06:17 +1000

"James K. Lowden" wrote:
> This idea leads me to another question: what should the make file do
> vis-a-vis userguide.sgml? Nothing? Use OpenJade (creates a
> dependency) and generate the html?

configure should sense OpenJade is not present and decline to prepare
the HTML format. Those who grab the source from CVS should be expected
to prepare a good build environment. Have a file in CVS that lists the
development tools required; e.g. gcc, autoconf, automake, OpenJade.

> Or, should the html be included in CVS, such that "make install"
> plunks the html in, say, /usr/doc/freetds? That's what a lot of
> packages do, perl for one.

I think the HTML should be included in .tar.gz distribution but not in
CVS. This creates a dependency for the person doing the .tar.gz but
avoids having non-source files in CVS. Some projects refuse to have a
configure in CVS, since it is generated from configure.in. This means
the "make dist" rule needs to be adjusted to run autoconf, perhaps.

> If userguide.sgml were in the source tree, people could send patches.

If it weren't there they couldn't send patches.

> I have a sense this little essay is going to get me involved in
> automake & Co. Thanks a bunch, James Cameron.

;-)

--
James Cameron (cameron AT stl.dec.com)

"Did I ask for fries?"