freetds - Re: why gnot gnu?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: why gnot gnu?
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 15:03:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 19 May 2001, James K. Lowden wrote:

> That was very helpful, thanks. I understand now. Of course, every answer
> leads to a question (or so).

> What should the target be here, as far as FreeTDS is concerned? What
> advantage is it
> to you to use the Tru64 UNIX compiler instead of gcc? Don't you use other
> GPL
> software that requires gcc? I'm not challenging you; I just don't get it.

The Tru64 compiler is much better at optimizing code for the Alpha
architecture than gcc currently is. In fact, I consider that one of Tru64's
primary selling points over Linux at this point.

If the configure script that ships with FreeTDS doesn't work on Tru64, and
rerunning automake/autoconf on the target platform is sufficient to make it
work, then fixing this should be a simple matter of using a more recent
version of the autotools to generate the configure script that ships with
FreeTDS. The autotools already have platform- and compiler-neutrality as a
goal, so chances are this problem has already been fixed in a newer version of
automake/autoconf.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

  • why gnot gnu?, James K. Lowden, 05/19/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: why gnot gnu?, Steve Langasek, 05/19/2001
    • Re: why gnot gnu?, James Cameron, 05/21/2001