freetds - Re: LONGVARCHAR in freetds JDBC max size is 4096?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: LONGVARCHAR in freetds JDBC max size is 4096?
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 08:11:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Spectron Caribe, Inc. wrote:

> I'm using all the defaults my connection url is:
>
> jdbc:freetds:sqlserver://SERVERNAME/DATABASENAME

As pointed out by other messages in this thread, the problem you are
experiencing is caused by a default setting in SQL Server. It would
indeed be nice, as you suggest, to be able to write portable client code
which ignores this problem. Solving the problem by having the driver
unconditionally override the default buffer size may run the risk,
however, of breaking some existing applications by exhausting system
resources. It may be preferable to have a property set in the
environment which will trigger the SET statement, allowing the code to
be written portably with as little risk as possible for existing
applications.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline AT rksystems.com