freetds - Re: LONGVARCHAR in freetds JDBC max size is 4096?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: LONGVARCHAR in freetds JDBC max size is 4096?
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 19:36:27 -0400

Faw,

I entirely agree with you on all points. I'm saying that in general a
driver negotiates a connection to the server, setting all kinds of things by
whatever means available. The ramifications of those settings will be more
or less convenient to the user in different contexts.

I don't know the answer to "is it portable?" As a rule, the "set" command
and the global variables are MS- and Sybase- features. OTOH, I should think
being able to limit the amount of data returned by a text column would be
useful in any environment, especially where buffer overruns are an issue.

[academic editorial follows]
Do you know if this maximum text size question is addressed by the JDBC
standard? If it's not, then it still seems to me FWIW that it's up to the
driver writer. I see your point about interoperability of JDBC drivers. No
one wants to litter his code with "if vendor_a X else Y". I just think that
when two implementations differ outside the scope of a standard, neither is
wrong; they're just different. There's only so much a driver can do to
conceal/minimize different vendors' servers, after all, beyond documenting
the behavior.
[end editorial]

Regards,

--jkl