freetds - RE: FreeTDS with MS SQL Server 2000

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Cecil Stump" <cecil AT chs.picker.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: FreeTDS with MS SQL Server 2000
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:19:33 -0500

Hi Steve,

I am using

Perl 5.6.0 / NetBSD-1.5 unix / DBI-1.14 / DBD-Sybase-0.23 / freetds-0.51

I was in the same boat, here is what I was doing wrong:

1. I was not using the latest release (freetds-0.51)

2. I needed to compile with flag: --enable-msdblib

3. There is a format change in the interfaces file:

MYSERVERNAME
query tcp tds7.0 my.server.domain.name 1433

4. To get everything working properly I first removed all the
packages and then did clean builds from the bottom up.
That is to say freeTDS, then DB-Sybase, then DBI
I don't know if this order is necessary, but it worked for me.

5. I was trying to access the Northwind test database on a table
that contained unicode fields. Freetds 7.0 _seriously_ dislikes
unicode at the momoent (it was doing core dumps). Fortunately,
I do not need unicode at the moment, so I just tested with a
diffent table.

BTW, one of the problems I encountered prior to upgrading to
freetds-0.51 and figuring out that I needed to use --enable-msdblib
was that I was getting unwanted nulls at the end of every char field
returned. I don't know which of these changes got rid of my nulls,
but they are gone and I have other things to do.

Things seem to be working now, but I am just getting off the ground.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Cecil Stump

DISCLAIMER. I profess no expertise in above the subject matter
beyond having spent the last week attempting to find the magic
combination.