freetds - Re: freetds-0.51pre1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT stl.dec.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: freetds-0.51pre1
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 12:35:11 +1100

- .tgz file unpacks without version number,
- Compaq Tru64 UNIX Makefile and compiler warnings,
- php 4.03pl1 generated a segmentation fault,

Brian Bruns wrote:
> 0.51pre1 is out on
> ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/freetds-0.51pre1.tgz
> If no major problems are found I'll bless it as 0.51 next week.

Test compiling on Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 on Alpha and Intel architectures,
and on Compaq Tru64 UNIX on Alpha.

Minor finding ... the .tgz file unpacks into a directory that does not
include a version number, thus overwriting my previous directory. Most
other open source .tar.gz files, especially those that use the "make
dist" rule generated by automake(?), create a version specific
directory.

Compiled and installed cleanly on Debian GNU/Linux, both architectures.

Compiler command line issues on Compaq Tru64 UNIX V4.0D ... in Makefile:

%.o: %.c
@echo '$(COMPILE) -c $<'; \
$(COMPILE) -Wp,-MD,.deps/$(*F).P -c $<

Had to remove -Wp,-MD,.deps/$(*F).P to get it to work from this rule in
every Makefile, and the following localisation rule. No idea why; I
don't understand what causes the rule to be defined.

Minor Tru64 cc complaints about casting unsigned char with signed char.

Only one major problem found, everything else worked for me, though my
application only reads data from the database. The crash was a
segmentation fault within DBLSETLCHARSET because PHP called it with an
invalid pointer. Intel Linux specific.

Bug logged with PHP project. http://bugs.php.net/?id=7651

My working configuration (mainly for my records) ...

freetds-0.51pre1
# ./configure --with-tdsver=4.2
# make
# make install

php-4.0.3pl1
# ./configure --with-sybase=/usr/local/src/freetds/ --without-mysql
# make
# make install

apache-1.3.9-13.1 (as packaged with Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 [potato])
# cp /usr/local/bin/php /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
# echo "Action php3-script /cgi-bin/php" >> /etc/apache/httpd.conf
# echo "AddHandler php3-script .phtml" >> /etc/apache/httpd.conf

point to database server
# vi /etc/freetds/interfaces

--
James Cameron (james.cameron AT compaq.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/ (or) http://quozl.netrek.org/