freetds - Re: jdbc driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andreas Tille <tillea AT rki.de>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: jdbc driver
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:26:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Craig Spannring wrote:

> > Except this kind of "documentation-is-just-for-stupid-beginner-and-
> > not-for-thes-knowledged-hacker-who-can-easily-compare-filesize-and-date"
> > issue the JDBC driver programmers did a fine job and it worked great
> > for me without problems. No code related bugs against the driver in
> > the Debian bug track system.
>
> More accurately would be "this-driver-is-pre-beta-code-and-
> if-you-are-a-beginner-that-can't-figure-out-how-to-compare-
> file-size-and-dates-you-probably-should-find-a-more-mature-
> driver"
>
> That said, a number of beginners have used it with success. I'm just
> saying that if you can't read the source code the driver is probably a
> little less mature than you would like.
I count correct versioning as an documentation issue and my intend was
that different files have to become different names. It is *because*
they are used succesfully also by beginners, we *have to* inform them
about new file-versions. The README file has to contain a warning about
the snapshot state in general and different snapshots have to get
different names (snapshot-1, snapshot-2, ... or anything else to make
clear the difference).

Anyway thanks for the fine work with the JDBC-driver

Andreas.