freetds - Re: jdbc driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: jdbc driver
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:52:26 -0600 (MDT)

Andreas Tille writes:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bob Kline wrote:
> > [1] ftp://freetds.internetcds.com/pub/freetds_jdbc/README
> Moreover you have to check the ftp server regularly for snapshot
> updates. They are not announced nor even do different snapshots get
> different filenames :-(. I frequently ask for both an this list
> but nothing changes since about one year.
>
> Except this kind of "documentation-is-just-for-stupid-beginner-and-
> not-for-thes-knowledged-hacker-who-can-easily-compare-filesize-and-date"
> issue the JDBC driver programmers did a fine job and it worked great
> for me without problems. No code related bugs against the driver in
> the Debian bug track system.

More accurately would be "this-driver-is-pre-beta-code-and-
if-you-are-a-beginner-that-can't-figure-out-how-to-compare-
file-size-and-dates-you-probably-should-find-a-more-mature-
driver"

That said, a number of beginners have used it with success. I'm just
saying that if you can't read the source code the driver is probably a
little less mature than you would like.

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Bike hard, ski fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.