freetds - [JDBC] DatabaseMetaData and the various servers

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [JDBC] DatabaseMetaData and the various servers
  • Date: 13 Sep 2000 16:41:03 +0200

Hi,

I've been looking through DatabaseMetaData to maybe implement some
methods and noticed that the names of some methods imply they'd only
work for SQL Server (getColumns calls getColumns_SQLServer65
unconditionally for example).

Do any of these methods actually work on Sybase?

Many of the methods could be implemented using SQL Server's system
tables and/or the views in INFORMATION_SCHEMA - is this specific to
SQL Server 7? I don't have access to anything else, sorry.

For example, instead of creating a temporary table in getCatalogs()

SELECT CATALOG_NAME TABLE_CAT FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SCHEMATA

would be enough - am I missing something?

Maybe we should use the system views and tables where possible and
provide a SQL script to create similar views for those servers that
don't have them?

Sybase needs to run a couple of batch files installing views, tables
and possibly even procedures and triggers if you are using their own
JDBC driver. If you don't run them, you will get exceptions for all
MetaData methods.

Stefan