freetds - Re: [JDBC] DatabaseMetaData and the various servers

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [JDBC] DatabaseMetaData and the various servers
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:00:28 -0400 (EDT)

On 14 Sep 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Do you know where I could find a comprehensive list of these common
> system tables - I mean which are there, not their content as I can
> find this in my SQL Server 7 documentation myself?

Here's the list of tables common to SQL Server 7 and ASE 11.9.2. I
think it's a safe assumption that this list would be good at least as
far back as the verion right before the split between Microsoft and
Sybase (4.2 as I recall), but while it's unlikely that either vendor has
eliminated or renamed columns which existed back then, I wouldn't want
to count on neither of them having added columns subsequently, so we'll
need to test anything built based on SQL Server 7.0 documentation.

Common system tables in master database:
syscharsets
syscolumns
syscomments
sysconfigures
syscurconfigs
sysdatabases
sysdepends
sysdevices
sysindexes
syslanguages
syslocks
sysmessages
sysobjects
sysprocesses
sysprotects
sysreferences
sysservers
systypes
sysusers

> I think we should base as many DatabaseMetadata methods as possible on
> them instead of building our own temprorary tables.

Agreed. I would hope that no temporary tables would be needed, since
that would block read-only accounts from what should be read-only
functionality.

Cheers,
Bob