freetds - Re: ISO-code translation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andreas Tille <tillea AT rki.de>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ISO-code translation
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:54:10 +0200 (CEST)

On 14 Apr 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> I guess telling SQLServer which charset to use doesn't help much. The
> String is assembled from the received bytes using Java's default
> encoding which may be anything, most likely ISO8859_1 or Cp1252
> (theese are Java names of the encodings).
>
> To get this to work correctly all String creation needs to take the
> desired charset into account. There are quite a few places where
> changes are necessary for this. Furthermore one would need a mapping
> of charset names as understood by SQL Server to encoding names as
> understood by Java.
>
> I'm sorry, but don't expect a quick hack this time - which wouldn't
> work anyway 8^).
That's bad news but I have to accept it. Unfortunately I'm not skilled
enough to track down the problem myself. Anyway could someone please
announce any possible solution so that I could test it as soon as
possible, even if it is unstable? Betatesting would be the only
support I could give.

Kind regards and nice weekend

Andreas.