freetds - Re: RH 5.1 make (again)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Mark Schaal <mark AT champ.tstonramp.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: RH 5.1 make (again)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:33:29 -0700 (PDT)

> DBI::FreeTDS is a separate implementation done by Craig. It does not use
> or require the freetds libraries. I have no idea if Craig is still working
> on it or not... There is also Michael Pepplers DBD::Sybase which I have
> personally used and it works well (within the bounds of what freetds
> supports). You'll need at least version 0.47 of freetds and version 0.19
> and up of DBD::Sybase should work.

Craig doesn't really like perl, and he spends his time on the JDBC code
instead. I wrote up a bare minimum DBD of my own, and based on my
experience I'd recommend using DBD::Sybase. It's a nice package with
pretty full feature support and Michael is actively developing it.

It might be a good idea to add an entry to the FAQ on using FreeTDS with
perl.

Using FreeTDS with Perl

There are three options for using TDS and Perl to connect to a Sybase or
MSSQL database, DBD::Sybase, DBD::FreeTDS, and Sybperl. Once an ODBC
library is available for FreeTDS you should also be able to use DBD::ODBC.

DBD::Sybase is the recommended option, and yes it does work with MSSQL.
You will need to install the perl DBI module and the FreeTDS package,
particularly the CTLib portion. Set your SYBASE environment variable to
/usr/local/freetds and install DBD::Sybase. Don't worry too much if some
of the tests fail. Do worry if the module doesn't compile. Make sure you
have the most recent version of FreeTDS installed. You can check the TDS
mailing list archives or ask the mailing list for help.

DBD::FreeTDS does not depend on the FreeTDS libraries. It is minimally
functional but it is considered alpha software and is not being
actively developed.

Sybperl is....well, I'm not sure what sybperl is or why someone would
want/need to use it. Maybe someone else could fill this in.

Since I'm looking at the FAQ, two other things come to mind. There
should be some mention of the MSSQL 7.0 support status. And there
should probably also be a mention of those autoconf/libtool problems
that keep coming up.

Mark
--
Mark J. Schaal Phone: (909) 620-7724