freetds - Re: RH 5.1 make (again)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: RH 5.1 make (again)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

Mark Schaal writes:
> > DBI::FreeTDS is a separate implementation done by Craig. It does not use
> > or require the freetds libraries. I have no idea if Craig is still
> > working
> > on it or not... There is also Michael Pepplers DBD::Sybase which I have
> > personally used and it works well (within the bounds of what freetds
> > supports). You'll need at least version 0.47 of freetds and version 0.19
> > and up of DBD::Sybase should work.
>
> Craig doesn't really like perl, and he spends his time on the JDBC code
> instead. I wrote up a bare minimum DBD of my own, and based on my
> experience I'd recommend using DBD::Sybase. It's a nice package with
> pretty full feature support and Michael is actively developing it.

> Sybperl is....well, I'm not sure what sybperl is or why someone would
> want/need to use it. Maybe someone else could fill this in.

sybperl is a thin wrapper around the Sybase C APIs. It's a lot more
mature than DBI/DBD::Sybase (I've been working on it for 9 years :-)
and it's maybe more natural to use for someone who already knows the
Sybase APIs (or MS's DBlibrary). It's a little more powerfull/flexible
than DBI, though obviously less portable.

It's still actively maintained and developped (by yours truly)

Michael
--
Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc.
mpeppler AT peppler.org -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler