freetds - Re: PHP, FreeTDS & Microsoft SQL Server 7, best methods?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Rasmus Lerdorf <rasmus AT raleigh.ibm.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: PHP, FreeTDS & Microsoft SQL Server 7, best methods?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:22:43 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

> I'll take you up on that offer with one caveat, my time is a little short
> right now and so contributions might not be coming very quickly for a
> while. I realize I should expand on my comment about the state of the PHP
> dblib code. It wasn't intended as a slam. The PHP dblib code sets a row
> buffer of 2, then clears it with every retrieval, so using buffering is
> kinda silly, although it gave me some great test code to look at for
> getting row buffering working for which I am grateful.

Hey, I only wrote a small part of that Sybase code, I didn't take it as a
slam, don't worry.

> All in all, I'd prefer to fix FreeTDS where needed instead of working
> around it in PHP. But we may need to modify PHP in some ways to support
> newer things that MS is doing like TDS 7.0 with multi-byte character
> sets.

Probably a good idea, but I am sure it would be handy, as you are testing
FreeTDS against PHP, to be able to fix little silly things you might find
in the PHP code instead of needing strange workarounds. You know a heck
of a lot more about Sybase-specific stuff than any of us in the PHP team
that slapped that sybase module together for PHP.

To get an account, go to www.php.net/cvs.php3 and fill out the little form
there. And I will set you up.

-Rasmus