freetds - Re: Installing freetds_jdbc

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andreas Tille <tillea AT rki.de>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Installing freetds_jdbc
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:19:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Craig Spannring wrote:

> The JDBC driver is NOT GPL'd. It is licensed under a BSD style
> license.
Sorry, I confused it with freetds treiber which ich GPLed, thought.

> The code won't compile using newer versions of jikes. There are a few
> syntatical errors which the Sun Java compiler let slip through. IBM's
> is a bit more thourough.
That's OK. I considered the jikes problem and took javac from JDK 1.1.7v2.
I was able to compile the sources without problems and installed them
(you noted my remark, that there should be a check, whether the
destination directory exists?). Unfortunately I've got strange
errors which I couldn't solve. Installing the classes someone else
has successfully compiled helped, but this is very strange for me!!!

Should I post you both, the working classes and the buggy ones
compiled by me to track down the problem. Furthermore I'll try
to compile the latest snapshot, may be that would help (is there any
risk in doing so?). Remark: Is think, you should add a version
number which makes communication with others more easy.

> Now for a little aside on open source licensing.
>
> #define RANT_MODE
>
> #undef RANT_MODE
>
> Sorry, you hit me in a rather sore spot with the GPL thing.
No problem. It's completely your own decission and the main
thing is to have a really free license which is BSD as well.
The fact is, that I can package it for Debian which accepts
BSD ... if you like that.

Kind regards

Andreas.