freetds - Installing freetds_jdbc

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <Craig.Spannring AT aedinc.net>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Installing freetds_jdbc
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:12:31 -0600 (MDT)

Andreas Tille writes:
> Hello,
>
> I want to access MS SQL server from a Linux box with Java. I was
> very happy to find a GPLed JDBC driver which claims to do this
> job.

The JDBC driver is NOT GPL'd. It is licensed under a BSD style
license.

> I'm using Debian/GNU Linux potato with jikes Version 0.55 (28 Jul 99).
> According to its error messages I had to remove "+V" from the JFLAGS
> variable. But this doesn't help very much when compiling:

The code won't compile using newer versions of jikes. There are a few
syntatical errors which the Sun Java compiler let slip through. IBM's
is a bit more thourough.

Now for a little aside on open source licensing.

#define RANT_MODE

GPL seeks to steal ownership of code away from the developer. This is
unacceptable to me. If I spend _MY_ time writing code, I'll be dammed
if some thief from MIT is going to tell me what I can and can't do with
it.

If I develop some software, say a JDBC driver, even if I feel like
giving away the driver to the public, there's no way I'm going to
license it in such a way as to prevent _ME_ from using it in some
future commercial project.

#undef RANT_MODE

Sorry, you hit me in a rather sore spot with the GPL thing.

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Bike hard, ski fast. | Craig.Spannring AT aedinc.net
Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.