freetds - Re: tds_process_result_tokens patch

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tds_process_result_tokens patch
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:00:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Mark Schaal wrote:

[overly long explaination clipped]

> Hmmm, right, I did change that. I wonder why. Zen coding? Feel free
> to change it back. I guess I was focussed on the more_results flag and
> assumed an end without more results was a real end. I don't understand
> what the separate end tokens are supposed to be for. I haven't done any
> work with procedures yet, to which the token names seem to imply some
> connection.

END2 (or DONEPROC...which is its real name, the END, END2, END3 labels
were made up by me before I knew what I was doing...) will appear where
you would expect a END when the query is a stored proc. END3 (DONEINPROC)
are basically ignored. They seem to relate to queries done within
stored procedures or other processes (login generates them for instance)
and are mostly harmless. One interesting test is to try running sp_helpdb
over a slow link (14400/28800 something like that), it takes forever
because of all the END3 tokens. A good place to start when compressing
TDS.

I'm going to put out a 0.46pre1 tommorow (I was going to do it tonight,
but the CVS server seems to be down...bad sign). It'll have your changes
included (all 3 patches...I hope that's right), and I added you to the
AUTHORS file.

I also added a --with-tdsver=7.0 switch which at the moment will define
the macro TDS70, which can be used to ifdef those sections of code that
need to change for 7.0. However, actually using this flag for the
immediate future is likely to leave you with a non-working library.

> Mark

Regards,

Brian