freetds - MSSQL7.0 from freetds + SQSH On Linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "T.B." <timothy AT ennui.net>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: MSSQL7.0 from freetds + SQSH On Linux
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 19:14:29

Hey all,

I am not certain if this has been dealt with here.. I searched the list a
bit but could not find an explicit description of this situation, so I
thought I would relate my travails with this setup.

On an RedHat 5.2 System, using gcc 2.7.2.3 I was able to successfully
compile freetds and sqsh, and connect to an MSSQL7.0 server using sqsh from
a Linux server.

The fun bit was that MSSQL7.0 is NOT compatible with TDS version above 4.2
(or so we finally wheedled out of Microsoft tech support). That is to say,
it is -intentionally- incompatible with TDS ver above 4.2. "We don't
support TDS versions above 4.2 in MSSQL 7.0". When we finally discovered
that fun fact, I abandoned the sybase libs, got freetds and compiled it
using tdsver=4.2 and installed it normally.

Then, I untarred sqsh, removed configure and executed 'autoconf', then
configured and made the binary. I still get two errors when the command
prompt is coming up, however it seems to work nicely. For the curious,
those errors are:

Unknown property 32
Unknown property 40

-Timothy