freetds - Re: CTLib improvements/SQSH 1.6 running

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Jepson <bjepson AT ids.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: CTLib improvements/SQSH 1.6 running
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:07:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Mihai Ibanescu wrote:

> I'll try to get access to a Sun in order to test stuff on it. The bad part
> is that they don't ship by default any compiler. I remember a couple of
> years ago that I installed a Solaris 2.4 and I had forst to find a
> compiled gcc, and then to compile gcc (this is nasty, it took me 4
> hours...). And then installing gcc is not very nice. Basically I have to
> fill that Solaris with GNU gcc, autoconf, automake, make, etc. It's a lot
> of work...

Things are a lot easier now - if you are using Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, or 7,
you can precompiled binaries from www.sunfreeware.com, including (and
especially) gcc. What's more, these are distributed in pkgadd format, so
they are very easy to install and maintain.

Cheers,

Brian Jepson * (bjepson AT ids.net) * http://users.ids.net/~bjepson
Choosy mothers choose to chew Chew-Z