fingerlakespermaculture - Nature Journaling For Kids At Six Mile Creek

  • From: "Chrys B. Gardener" <cab69 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: "Fingerlakes Permaculture List (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org) (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org)" <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Nature Journaling For Kids At Six Mile Creek
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 16:34:26 +0000

The Friends of Six Mile Creek and the Natural Areas Commission of the City of Ithaca announce the second annual educational series for children aged 7-12. Nature Journaling for Kids will introduce children to the natural history of the Six Mile Creek Natural Area. Facilitated by Laurie Rubin, participants will observe and learn about animals and plants while they record their impressions in words and pictures.

Rubin, retired Ithaca City School District teacher, demonstrates how nature study helped her students become stronger scientists, readers, writers, and mathematicians in her recently published book, To Look Closely: Science and Literacy in the Natural World. Her experience complements the expertise of five naturalists who will each lead one themed workshop: Animal Tracking, Stream Safari, Wonderful Wild Flowers, Native Trees and L! and Snails and Slugs. Kids (accompanied by a parent) can participate in one or more of these fun, educational, and free activities in 2014.

Each session will start at the parking area of the Mullholland Wildflower Preserve just off Giles Street on Saturdays at 1:00PM and run until 2:30PM. Journals will be provided or bring your own. No signup required. Contact Laurie (272-8491) or Anna (379-0924) for more information.

The schedule is as follows:
February 15-Animal Tracking with Linda Spielman
There's lots going on outside in winter, but it takes a detective's mind to find and understand the clues. We'll look for tracks, chews, scat, and other kinds of evidence to help us figure out what kinds of wild animals live near us and what they are doing.

April 12-Stream Safari with Phil Koons
Did you ever wonder what kinds of critters live in our local streams? Join us on a Stream Safari to learn about the ins! ects, fish and other organisms that live beneath the water’s surface. We’ll collect live samples and explore an exciting new world!

May 3-Wonderful Wild Flowers with Betsy Darlington
Spring wildflowers seem to magically rise from the forest floor and then, almost as quickly, disappear, not to be seen again until the next spring. Join us to learn the names (and secrets) of these fleeting flowers of the Mulholland Wildflower Preserve.

June 7-Native Trees with Brett Schneiderman
Trees are an important part of the environment around us; they provide us with clean air, shade, food, and materials. We’ll learn about some of the trees in our local forests, how to identify them and what they can tell us about the greater environment.

June 28 Land Snails and Slugs (new this year) with Marla Coppolino
Though often overlooked, land snails and slugs play an important role in the health of the ecosystem. We’ll discover their secret hiding places and learn about the ! different kinds of snails and slugs that live practically under our feet, and why they are a vital part of the food web.

__._,_.___

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (3)

Recent Activity:

Replies to bsbp-discuss list messages are sent by default to the entire list, not directly to the person posting. Please double-check the TO: address in your message if you intend to reply to a fellow list member privately.

.

To unsubscribe from "CCE-TompkinsStaff-L AT cornell.edu" contact Theresa at tee1 AT cornell.edu

  • Nature Journaling For Kids At Six Mile Creek, Chrys B. Gardener, 02/06/2014