corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's diatribe against Peter

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <tim AT timgallant.org>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's diatribe against Peter
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:29:00 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>
To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:22 AM

Hello,

While I see your point, I think there is a clear "break" in 3:1 where
Paul again addresses the Galatians directly. It seems to me that in
2:14-21 Paul is reciting an incident (relating his sermon to Peter) as
an illustration of the fact that he won't back down- even in the face of
power and authority. Having made the point by relating his denunciation
of Peter, he refocuses attention on his primary audience, the crazy,
hacking Galatians.

The way I look at it is that the whole *could* be a citation of his rebuke of Peter - but even if it is not, the "remainder" is a self-conscious unfolding of the implications of whatever he said to Peter. So in that sense, it's almost a moot point, I think.

tim

Tim Gallant
Elder, Christ Covenant Church
http://www.christcovenant.ca