corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Audience of Romans/Symbolic Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Gallant" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Audience of Romans/Symbolic Paul
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:57:07 -0600

Mark would probably not care for the way I've revised
his Roman scenario, but I can't help but think
unbelieving Israel is in view in chs 14-15 in a
similar way to Caesar in ch 13: believers do and must
deal with the "outside". Rom 12-15 instructs accordingly.

However... Paul never addresses Caesar (or the civil authorities in general) in ch 13; he does address the "weak" directly in ch 14.

I frankly find the view that the weak in ch 14-15 are unbelieving Jews to be quite implausible. In 14.4, he says that the weak will be made to stand, but that does not seem to fit well with how he construes unbelieving Jews in ch 9-11.

Even more damaging is 14.6ff, which speak of living and dying to the Lord, which is quite explicitly Christ (14.9). Would he speak of Jews who do not believe upon Christ as "living and dying to the Lord"?

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church

http://www.timgallant.org
tim | gallant site group