corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 12:20, coals of fire on his head

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: robertbayer AT juno.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 12:20, coals of fire on his head
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:40:02 -0500

Although I did not know Bishop Pillai I have many friends who did.
Bishop Pillai was born in India in the early part of the twentieth
century (or perhaps late 19th century). He was raised a Hindu in a
traditional Indian village. He converted to Christianity, but felt that
sometimes the traditional village life he knew reflected the culture of
the Bible better than some western interpretations. I don't now how
exactly the internet citation reflects his actual teaching but I am
certain that he did observe something similar to what is related below.
He was not opposed to western scholarship but felt that his experience of
traditional village life was worth consideration. By the time of his
death, the way of life which had endured for centuries in the village of
his youth was almost over.

Bob Bayer
Winchendon, MA USA