corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Ethos and Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Ethos and Paul
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:33:22 -0500

Fred,

You can check with Tom Olbricht [tom-olbricht AT comcast.net] for the
progress of the volume which will contain the essays from Heidelberg.
Overall, I wonder if the "power/authority" paradigm is most helpful in
analyzing Pauline texts. His use of ethos is intended to be persuasive and
to grant him credibility so that others will listen to him. If that is an
exercise of power, and I am willing to acknowldege that it is, that does not
mean something has gone wrong. Perhaps an interesting twist would be to
think about what uses of power Paul would think compatible with the gospel.

Jerry
Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary
631 S. Limestone