corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Romans 14:14

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "James Ernest" <jdemail AT charter.net>
  • To: "'Corpus-Paul'" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Romans 14:14
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:37:34 -0400

Thanks, noted, and interesting.

... History of translation is usually interesting to me, though I guess
at this point I'm veering off-topic: Lamsa, I believe, translated the
Syriac version, not the Greek NT. Wycliffe's version, according to Jack
Lewis's ABD article, is "a stiff literal translation from inferior Latin
texts whose exact identify is unknown" (ABD 6:830)--at this point
apparently not the Vulgate, which has "quia nihil commune per ipsum nisi
ei qui existimat quid commune esse illi commune est" (because nothing is
unclean in itself, except that to the person who thinks something to be
unclean, to him it is unclean).

James