corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] "to provoke them (Israel) to jealousy"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] "to provoke them (Israel) to jealousy"
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:48:05 -0500

on 10/13/03 4:25 PM, Sidney L. Davis, Jr. at sidneydavis AT comcast.net wrote:

> I am preparing a monograph addressing the traditional and popular
> interpretation of the phrase(s) "to provoke them (Israel) to jealousy" that
> appear in Paul's letter to the Romans 10:19;11:11 & 14. I would like to
> portray the traditional Christian interpretation with Judaic responses to
> the popular interpretation found in Jewish-Christian polemics. I plan to
> contrast these views with how I understand this Pauline phrase within the
> context of the self understanding of 1st century Palestinian Judaism and the
> Gentile mission. Any sources or references that the list can provide that
> might be helpful to my investigation is appreciated.

Dear Sidney,
For the traditional interpretation, Richard Bell's Provoked to Jealousy,
Mohr Siebeck, 1994, supplemented with commentaries, should be covered, and
should provide mention of alternative traditions.

I have argued that it is not jealousy of Gentile entrance, which depends
upon assumptions about Jewish views of Gentiles that I do not share,
implicit supersessionism, as well as reading jealousy, an impulse to
emulate, as though Paul had written envy, an impulse to begrudge. I suggest
that the jealousy Paul seeks to provoke is based on the Israelite
expectation to have the privilege of bringing the light to the nations,
which he believes he is doing, so some of his fellow-Jews who are not so
engaged will recognize in his success among the Gentiles that there is need
to further consider his proposition that the age to come has dawned, since
it is a privilege they will want to share in. My views are published in The
Mystery of Romans, Fortress, 1996, ch. 5, and in "The Jewish Context of the
Gentile Audience Addressed in Paul's Letter to the Galatians, CBQ 61.2
(1999) 283-304.

Regards,
Mark
--