corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] "to provoke them (Israel) to jealousy"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sidney L. Davis, Jr." <sidneydavis AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] "to provoke them (Israel) to jealousy"
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:25:47 -0400

I am preparing a monograph addressing the traditional and popular
interpretation of the phrase(s) "to provoke them (Israel) to jealousy" that
appear in Paul's letter to the Romans 10:19;11:11 & 14. I would like to
portray the traditional Christian interpretation with Judaic responses to
the popular interpretation found in Jewish-Christian polemics. I plan to
contrast these views with how I understand this Pauline phrase within the
context of the self understanding of 1st century Palestinian Judaism and the
Gentile mission. Any sources or references that the list can provide that
might be helpful to my investigation is appreciated.

Sidney Davis

Hebrew College

Boston