corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Romans 1:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Romans 1:16
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 03:27:33 -0400

At 10:25 AM 10/10/03 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
>OU GAR EPAISXUNOMAI TO EUAGGELION, DUNAMIS GAR QEOU ESTIN EIS SWTHRIAN
>
>If memory serves (and I don't have the opportunity at the moment to
>consult any commentaries) this statement by Paul is usually taken to be
>an attempt at offering a definition of what the "gospel" **is** -- as if
>somehow this needed clarifying.

As far as I can tell (e.g. BDF ยง 472), that is the normal word order,
so there's nothing emphatic going on. I suppose you could turn the
tables by controverting the claim that ESTIN is emphatic when the
word order does not support it.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com