corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Judaism: a missionary religion or just open to converts?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Cameron VanEpps <c.vanepps AT comcast.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Judaism: a missionary religion or just open to converts?
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:50:32 -0700

Dear Readers,

I have recently read Paula Fredriksen's essay, "Judaism, Circumcision, and Apocalyptic Hope" in Mark Nanos' new book, The Galatians debate, and found my mind pricked with many interesting thoughts. I will only pose one question at a time in the hope that each will be dealt with fully. My first question, which I never really gave much thought to, is the idea of Judaism as being a "missionary" religion. Does it make sense to think that there was such a thing as outreach based preaching/teaching prior to the great commission? Or is it more likely that what really happened was teachings or philosophical debates between a Rabbi and those holding to another theological application in an open air arena, thus drawing those inclined to monotheism into the fold. I would love to hear people's thoughts on this topic.

Cameron P. VanEpps
215 W. Illinois St.
Bellingham, WA 98225
phone: (360) 715-8873