corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Judaism: a missionary religion or just open to converts?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT austingrad.edu>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Judaism: a missionary religion or just open to converts?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 06:39:22 -0500

Dear John,

The initial question I'd press is what activities the various kinds of evidence you rightly mention constitute evidence for. I.e., there's a difference between a religion that welcomes outsiders when they present themselves on the doorstep (as opposed to driving them away) and one that actively recruits among outsiders; it's the difference between most Orthodox and many Evangelical churches in this neck of the woods. The interesting thing in your summary of evidence is the motive clauses; it's not my impression that the sources are so clear that gentile conversion is the motive of the Jewish actions you refer to, which leaves open the interpretation that e.g. good works were done with a view to improving gentile perceptions of Judaism, which might have a number of benefits besides conversion, e.g., averting a contemporary replay of Nebuchadrezzar or Antiochus Epiphanes.

Congratulations on the publication of your study. I will look forward to an opportunity to read it -- sometime after the beginning of the semester!

All best,
Jeff Peterson