corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sacrifice and atonement in Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sacrifice and atonement in Paul
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 07:08:54 -0500

> Also there was an NTS article sometime ago on sacrificial imagery in Paul
> (concluding that there really isn't all that much) but I cannot now recall
> the
> author of that piece or the NTS volume. Mark Nanos -- cal you help?

Sorry,
I do not recall the piece. There are recent books, like Boyarin on
martyrdom, and Cummins, Paul and the Crucified Christ in Antioch, Cambridge,
2001, and Pickett, The Cross in Corinth: The Social Significance of the
Death of Jesus, Cambridge, 1997, that are useful, and will have good
bibliographies. I found a recent essay by Pamela Eisenbaum, "A Remedy for
Having Been Born of Woman" very interesting on the topic. She is revising it
for publication, but not sure where or when it will appear. It was on the
web, but I don't have the address at hand. Stowers in Rereading Romans and
in several essays in books and journals since has been working on the
subject of sacrifice in Greco-Roman contexts and its relationship to NT
ideas. Perhaps Ray Pickett can help with some other suggestions; Ray?
Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.