corpus-paul - Re: Antitheses

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Billy Evans <biblewje AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Antitheses
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:18:43 -0600

on 10/27/02 1:44 PM, Peter Kirby at kirby AT earthlink.net wrote:

> On Sunday 27 October 2002 11:13 am, Billy Evans wrote:
>> didn't Lightfoot settle this question?
>
> Do you have a book and page number?
The ref wasn't where I thought it was but I found one that stated what Dodd
and Lightfoot would argue for: if gnostic ideas were not what the pastorals
were addressing, there is no reason to doubt a 1st century date. (ISBE
3:685) What Lightfoot did was to show quotations in the apostolic fathers
but I have no idea where I saw it right now. I'll keep thinking. Of
course, I don't think a late date would make a lot of sense regarding Paul
telling Tim to lead in spite of his age. Someone could fictionalize that to
endorse their own youthful aspirations for leadership but wouldn't someone
have caught him and a tome have been written about the incident?

only a probably to be sure but that is the postmodern limitation is it not?

billy