corpus-paul - Re: Antitheses

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Antitheses
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:52:40 -0700

Peter asks:
>>Other than the assumption of authenticity (and scholarly opinion), what
would indicate that the Pastorals were written before 140?

The question begs another for me (+ a little meandering):
If written so late, what is the character and motive of the author and what
would have formed it - or more simply, who is the author?

One small passage as example: 1 Tim 1:11-17. If written by a contemporary of
Marcion, the author needs to create or imagine himself as Paul, as
unfaithful, as finding mercy, as a pattern - and by projection onto Paul, as
seeing in Paul's experience a type of his/her own. It is not too much of a
stretch. A good story teller might attempt it. Has anyone tried it?

(I have a letter from John of Ephesus to Gaius in my story - but I imagine
you would find it 21st century without too much difficulty! I could also use
a good redaction. Perhaps the postulated author of 140 had a good editor.)

6:13 is curious - the explicit mention of Pontius Pilate - a unique
reference for 'Paul'. But he may well have known all about Pilate and his
recall to Rome in 36. Contacts through Antioch are not impossible. May
well have been that Antiochene Roman authorities took Pilate to Rome and
that the believers were well aware of this.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,