corpus-paul - RE: In search of wisdom

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jürg Buchegger <j.buchegger AT datacomm.ch>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: In search of wisdom
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:35:45 +0200

Dear Dave,

In his Mail to Dan Hynes, Dave Hindley wrote on Sat, 19 Oct 2002
14:22:38 -0400 :

<From your e-mail base address (africamail.com) and your interest in
<missions, I am guessing that you are from an evangelical-missionary
<background. This list is more interested in the nuts and bolts business of
<criticism using a technique known as the "historical-critical" method, than
<in the more-or-less faith confirming study of the epistles (along with
Acts)
<as a way to understand the significance of Paul's travels and activities in
<relation to spreading the (his?) gospel. But that doesn't mean you can't
<learn something here that will help you in your own search for meaning,
etc.

Sure I do understand your point (especially in some US-context), but
your black/white classification of "evangelical-missionary" as non-critical,
not
"knowing" (the proper use/existence?) of the (!) "historical-critical
method" etc.
worldview is an unfair clichee of yours. There is room to disagree, but
please
try to interact with the strongest arguments of the conservative-evangelical
standpoint on Paul.

Jürg Buchegger
Pfr. Dr.theol., senior pastor EFC Buchs, Switzerland