corpus-paul - Re: [corpus-paul]

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [corpus-paul]
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:23:27 -0400

Tom Edmondson asks:

>>I am a high school Bible teacher by day and a part-time seminary student.
I am aiming to create a unit of study for my students on Paul from scratch.
All I need is some ideas about a theme/rubric from which I can draw passages
out of the Pauline corpus in order to create group projects and analysis
papers. I've thought about "Justification by Faith," "The Lordship of
Christ," and "Fellowship with the Spirit." Anyone care to add comments,
suggestions, or additional categories? All responses are appreciated.<<

Boy oh boy, you sure have some project in front of you! From your statement
that you are a high school Bible teacher by day, I can probably assume that
you are teaching at a private school such as a Catholic school or even an
evangelically oriented Christian academy. If this is the case (and even if
it is for a high school level bible class for a church youth group), have
you decided to what degree your church's theological view about Paul's
writings will be reflected in the class? In other words, what is the end
result you want to achieve: Planting of interest in critical ideas or
confirmation/edification of faith?

As you know, the Pauline corpus is chock full of themes, and these are not
always (well, I'd almost say "not ever") well integrated with one another.
You mention "justification by faith" and "Lordship of Christ," which I think
are the two overarching themes to be found. However, I'm afraid that if you
present them with just critical views of these themes, without trying to
present attempts to harmonize them or otherwise explain their discordances,
the end result might be confused kids (and this kind of thing may not go
down well with the board of deacons). So, you may need a moderating theme.
"Fellowship of the spirit," which I think is incidental to the above themes,
may allow you to tie in the former, more critically oriented, themes into a
faith perspective.

There are several argumentative approaches that can be taken, but it may be
good to delay suggestions on these until I have a better idea of where you
want to get to with them.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA