corpus-paul - Re: More blood of the covenant

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: More blood of the covenant
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:53:47 +0100

Dear Loren,
You wrote:
>But, if I recall correctly, the Aramaic word "bisra"
> can mean either "flesh" or "body

Yes, the Aramaic 'bisra' can mean 'body'. For that matter, in biblical
Hebrew, 'basar' can mean 'body'. But the idiomatic compound expression
'basar ve-dam', common in rabbinic literature (but absent in both Aramaic
and biblical Hebrew), has the meaning 'flesh and blood', in contrast with
God, i.e. fallible humanity. Its correct Greek translation is 'sarx kai
haima', not 'soma kai haima', as Paul was well aware when he used 'sarx kai
haima' in exactly the post-biblical nuance of meaning in 1 Cor. 15:50, Gal.
1:16, Eph. 6:12.

You appear to agree, however, with my suggestion that there may have been
an emendation, at some point, from 'sarx' to 'soma' in the Eucharistic
words. You query, however, my suggestion that this leads to an
over-complicated theory. It certainly makes for a more complicated theory
than that put forward by Ben-Chorin, who does not appear to have seen any
difficulty in the use of the word 'soma'. I think it is over-complicated to
emend a sentence which is perfectly intelligible in its original form,
provided one is not in the business of rescuing the Eucharistic words from
non-Jewish connotations.

One also has to take into account that the Gospel of John, in a very
provocative statement of Eucharistic doctrine which alienated not only Jews
in general but many of this own disciples, does say plainly that to gain
salvation one must eat the 'flesh' ('sarx') of Jesus. But Ben-Chorin makes
no attempt to bring this passage into his interpretation that Jesus, in the
Last Supper accounts of the Gospels, was merely using an innocuous phrase
meaning 'humanity' ('basar ve-dam'), and had no intention of instituting a
Eucharistic rite.

With best wishes,

Hyam

Dr.Hyam Maccoby