corpus-paul - Re: Re Textbook

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jill and Dale Walker <jilldale AT rcnchicago.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re Textbook
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:31:18 -0500

I like Calvin Roetzel's Paul: The Man and the Myth (Univ. of S. Carolina Press, 1998)
for its attempt to think through Pauline ideas diachronically. It isn't strictly a book on
Pauline theology, but it provides an interesting model for approaching Paul's thinking
dynamically. It would provide good counterpoint to a book like Dunn or Fitzmyer.

Depending on what you want to accomplish in the class, Stendahl's Paul among
Jews and Gentiles would incite interesting discussion. It raises seminal issues in
the modern debates about Paul, and its brevity allows time for other readings.

Dale Walker
Chicago