corpus-paul - RE: Silvanus and Timothy in 2 Cor 1:19

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Silvanus and Timothy in 2 Cor 1:19
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 17:24:37 -0400

Ron:

>>But I see no reason to partition 2 Corinthians. (see my last e-mail). Can
you see any problems with my particular theory of unity?<<

Sorry, by my phrase "several publications of the book we know as 2
Corinthians" I did not mean to suggest I was endorsing any particular
partition theory.

However, I *was* thinking Trobisch's suggestion that 2 Corinthians (whether
composite or not) was part of a collection of letters (Romans, the
Corinthian letters, and Galatians) published in an authorized edition (he
thinks the editor/publisher of this particular collection of letters was
Paul himself, but it could also have been someone else at a later time).

He emphasizes that letters (almost always as parts of collections) are
published for reasons, and these reasons affect how the letters in the
published collection are selected, arranged and edited.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA