corpus-paul - Re: Silvanus and Timothy in 2 Cor 1:19

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Silvanus and Timothy in 2 Cor 1:19
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 05:33:35 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <rfellows AT intergate.ca>
To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 12:05 AM
Subject: [corpus-paul] Silvanus and Timothy in 2 Cor 1:19

> Why does Paul name his colleagues in 2 Cor 1:19? Why does he select
Silvanus and Timothy, and not Apollos, for example? Is it because P, S, & T
were the original missionary team? Perhaps, but why is that the important
criterion? No-where else does Paul name those who constituted his
evangelistic team, so the inclusion of the names in 2 Cor 1:19 requires
explanation. Why are Silvanus and Timothy particularly relevant to the
context here?

> The context is that Paul had promised a visit, which he had had to cancel.
I propose that Silvanus and Timothy had been co-senders with Paul of the
letter which had promised that visit.

> Several observations support this view.
>
> 1) "The word of us" in 1:18 is naturally taken to refer to the promise to
visit. The 'us' in 1:18 is surely the same individuals as the 'us' in 1:19
(P, S & T). Therefore it was P, S & T who sent the promise to visit.
> 2) Paul uses the first person plural in 1:13-14, "WE write you"; "as you
have already understood US in part". Therefore the letter was not was
probably written by Paul and Timothy at least.
> 3) The letter in question belongs before 1 Corinthians and was probably
the 'former'letter (1 Cor 5:9). 1 Thess, in my view, was written at about
the same time, so Silvanus was with Paul in that period.
> 4) The persons in 2 Cor 1:19 are the same as in 1 Thess 1:1, and are in
the same order. Furthermore, the same names are used: Silvanus instead of
Silas, and Timothy instead of the less formal 'Titus'.

Does your treatment consider that 1 and 2 Corinthians were originally 4
separate letters and segments of the 1st and 3rd are edited/incorporated in
2Cor? 2Cor 6:14-7:1 is a segment of the 1st letter, the 2nd letter (1 Cor)
carried by Timothy, the Corinthians react angrily and Paul writes a 3rd
letter, the Corinthians react better and he writes a 4th (2 Cor 1-10).
There are some form and source critical treatments on this which I will look
for if you are interested. It's early and the coffee is still brewing.

Jack