corpus-paul - Re: Silvanus and Timothy in 2 Cor 1:19

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: rfellows AT intergate.ca
  • To: <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Silvanus and Timothy in 2 Cor 1:19
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 12:25:53 -0700

Jack Kilmon wrote:
>Does your treatment consider that 1 and 2 Corinthians were originally 4
>separate letters and segments of the 1st and 3rd are edited/incorporated in
>2Cor?

Jack, my proposal concerning Silvanus and Timothy in 2 Cor 1:19 does not
pre-suppose any paricular partition theory, but it does rule out many of the
more complicated historical reconstructions.

But you have a right to know how I fit the jigsaw together, so here goes.

Paul was based in Ephesus. He made a brief visit to Athens. He, Silvanus and
Timothy then sent 1 Thess to Thessalonica, and the 'former letter' (1 Cor
5:9) to Achaia. Later he wrote 1 Cor to Corinth, and it was largely
successful. Some of the opponents yielded to church discipline, but the high
status, mobile, eloquent ones moved to Athens and exploited the church there.
Paul travelled to Macedonia where he met up with Titus-Timothy. He then wrote
2 Corinthians to Achaia. Chapters 1-9 were aimed at the Corinthians, whereas
chapters 10-13 were intended for the Athenians.

I used to partition 2 Cor, and have published to that effect, but I have
changed my mind. With the reconstruction outlined above, there is no need to
divide the letter at any point.

> 2Cor 6:14-7:1 is a segment of the 1st letter,

I think you are right to point to the connection between 2 Cor 6:14-7:1 and 1
Cor 5:9-13, but the connection actually supports the integrity of the letter.
2 Cor 6:14-7:1 belongs to its context because the sequence of thought in 2
Cor 6 is the same as that in 1 Cor 4-5. (See Michael Goulder, Novum
Testamentum 36, 1 (1994)).

Paul defends himself and claims to be a servant of God (1 Cor 4:1-5; 2 Cor
6:3-4a)
He then gives a tribulation list (1 Cor 4:9-13; 2 Cor 6:4b-10)
He then appeals to their affections as his children (1 Cor 4:14-15; 2 Cor
6:11-13)
And, finally, he asks them to dissociate themselves from the corrupting
opponents (1 Cor 5; 2 Cor 6:14-7:1)

Goulder also argues that the APISTOI of 6:14 are unfaithful Christians, and
this would fit well.

So, 6:14-7:1 is an essential element in the sequence of thought in 2 Cor 6. 1
Cor 4-5 was well received by the majority in Corinth. In 2 Cor 6 Paul repeats
the same message for good measure.

> the 2nd letter (1 Cor) carried by Timothy,

No, Timothy was traveling to Corinth by land when 1 Cor was sent by sea.

> the Corinthians react angrily and Paul writes a 3rd
>letter,

I see no evidence for this. In 1 Cor Paul seems confident in the Corinthian
church as a whole.

> the Corinthians react better and he writes a 4th (2 Cor 1-10).
>There are some form and source critical treatments on this which I will look
>for if you are interested.

Yes, I am interested in any thoughts that you think might be relevant. I will
be happy to clarify any aspect of my reconstruction.

>It's early and the coffee is still brewing.

Now it's time for another cup.

Richard Fellows.