corpus-paul - Re:Why were Gentiles attracted to Christianity?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Why were Gentiles attracted to Christianity?
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:48:40 -0500

cfjacks wrote:

> John,
>
> I am most surprised by your comments to my statement since I thought I was
> making the very points which you elaborate here. So perhaps I was unclear
> about my presentation, and if so my apologies. But in re-reading my
> original posting (from which Hindley excerpted a snippet) I find myself
> confused as to why anyone would find my needing the clarifications you
> propose,
> since I have already made them ... haven't I? Which then leads to my
> wondering whether or not you are responding to my posting or just to
> Hindley's excerpt. If only the excerpt, then I would invite you to read the
> whole posting on June 2. But if you have already read it, then I would
> appreciate your sharing with me where you find yourself adding points or
> information which I left out, since the intended thrust of my posting seems
> at least to me to be saying the same thing, the necessity of seeing just
> such "god-fearing gentiles" (or whatever they might have in fact been
> called) as the ones prepared to hear and to accept Paul's kerygma and thus
> constituting the kind of gentiles we find in Paul's congregations, at least
> at first. Looking forward to hearing from you,

The problem with this -- if I am reading you correctly -- is that in at least
two of
Paul's letters (1 Thess and Gal) there is **no** indication that his converts
had any
association with the/a synagogue before Paul preached to them. 1 Thess 1:9
(as well as
-- to my knowledge -- a lack of any archeological evidence that there was a
synagogue
in Thessalonika) indicates that members of the Thessalonican congregation did
not turn
from worshipping idols **until** they heard Paul -- a description hardly
befitting the
(mind you) Lukan definition of God fearers. And the same can be said, I think
for the
Galatian converts.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

P.S. As per protocols, would you kindly refrain from quoting/keeping at the
bottom of
your message the entirety of the message to which you are responding. This
causes
great woe for C-P members who read the List Messages in Digest form

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
1500 W. Pratt Blvd.