corpus-paul - RE: Why were Gentiles attracted to Christianity?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Why were Gentiles attracted to Christianity?
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 01:55:36 -0400

Looking further into the nature and origin of Galatian
Jewish communities, my earlier comments were restricted to
northern Galatia, it seems.

If the southern "Galatian" regions of Lycaonia and Pisidia
are considered, there is evidence for Synagogues present in
the city of Iconium (Acts 14:1) and in Antioch (Acts 13:4),
respectively, but again these may be anachronisms from the
time Acts was written. Jews are also thought to have picked
up the Enoch legends from Lycaonia (or Phrygia in general),
and W. M. Ramsay thought a large number of Jews lived in
this area (so Hastings Dictionary of the Bible). I see that
Lightfoot also thinks similarly, basing it on the assumption
that descendents of the 2,000 Jewish families settled in
Lydia and Phrygia by Antiochus the Great (Josephus, Ant
12.3.4) had migrated to Galatia. Is Ramsay's argument based
on a similar conjecture? (I never read the HDB article)

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA