corpus-paul - Re:Why were Gentiles attracted to Christianity?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <dicksonj AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Why were Gentiles attracted to Christianity?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:20:05 +1000

Clive Jacks states and asks:

> After all, one of the problems I have long discerned was
> just why an "off the street" gentile would react positively
> to any proclamation that "the time of waiting is over," that
> "the kingdom of God is at hand," because the long-awaited
> Messiah prophesied in the Scriptures has come. Just how
> much of that would be even intelligible much less agreeable
> to any gentiles not previously exposed to such Jewish
> concerns and categories

Clive, one must approach this question cognizant of the fact (perhaps 'high
probability' is better) that many non-Jewish 'converts' to the gospel had
attachments already to the Diaspora Synagogues. They were thus attracted to
Judaism first.
There is good evidence (outside the NT) that in Rome, Antioch and Alexandria
at least, Judaism enjoyed some popularity among non-Jews. The NT only
enhances and extends that picture.
I would suggest that the simplicity of monotheism, the well-developed social
ethic of the Torah and the intelligibility of public synagogue worship must
all be candidates for explaining the attractive power of Jewish life - our
evidence does not allow us to be precise here, however.
Hence, Paul's mission in a sense 'traded' on the success of Judaism. Those
attracted to Jewish worship found in Paul's 'Jewish' sounding gospel full
membership status and full assurance of eschatological salvation without the
(what seemed) difficult step of circumcision and the (what seemed) socially
restrictive demands of Jewish food laws.
In addition, I would make two more brief comments. First, Gentile converts
who had previously been attached in some way to the synagogues would be well
placed, through their existing social networks, to introduce other Gentiles
(not previously attracted to Judaism) to the teachings of the gospel.
Secondly, even Gentiles not greatly attracted to Judaism prior to hearing
Paul's gospel would still have known something of the Jewish traditions,
since Judaism in many cities of the Empire was a socially integrated and
public 'walk of life'.
Much more could be said but I throw these out for your consideration.
Kind regards,
John Dickson
Sydney, Australia