corpus-paul - Re: Purity Laws?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: tmcos AT canada.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Purity Laws?
  • Date: 3 Jun 2002 06:48:22 -0700

On Mon, 03 June 2002, Dennis De Jarnette wrote:

> Which Purity laws?
>
> If you mean the customs of the Jews of the First century, then this is
> correct, however these laws are not Biblical. There is no Biblical law
> forbidding the eating of food with a Gentile for example.
>
> Personally I look at the council at jerusalem as basing their decision on
> Lev 18 and thereabouts, using the condemnations there as a framework for
> what James thought were basic commandments for all. Note that while James
> did not expect circumcision, he did expect Sabbath observance, i.e. "They
> will hear the law in the
> synagogues on the Sabbath"

Dennis,

I don't see your point here. Acts 15:21 is not referring to the Christian
believers. James seems to be saying that if the Gentiles observe only the
requirements outlined in Acts 15:20,29 then they will be acceptable and this
would be respectable to the Jewish communities in the towns where they
reside. Best regards,

Tony Costa