corpus-paul - Purity Laws?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Dennis De Jarnette <positivedennis AT mchsi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Purity Laws?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 07:22:13 -0700

Which Purity laws?

If you mean the customs of the Jews of the First century, then this is
correct, however these laws are not Biblical. There is no Biblical law
forbidding the eating of food with a Gentile for example.

Personally I look at the council at jerusalem as basing their decision on Lev
18 and thereabouts, using the condemnations there as a framework for what
James thought were basic commandments for all. Note that while James did not
expect circumcision, he did expect Sabbath observance, i.e. "They will hear
the law in the
synagogues on the Sabbath"

For more info look to Jacob Jerval Luke and the People of God and Alan Sigal
Paul the Convert.

I think that Paul's anti-law statement need to be looks at in terms of his
prophetic ministry, His statements are similar to Isa 1, for example, I hate
your festivals and new moons, when Isa does not hate them, but hates the
hypocrisy of them. Paul is not against the Law but is against its use in self
justification,
Sanders is wrong.

Positive Dennis

Dennis De Jarnette